Are you thinking about buying a portable generator for emergency electrical power to your home or office during a power outage, such as during a hurricane?
Here are a few quick tips for safe operation of portable generators to help you get started.
1. Portable generators are designed for providing temporary power to one or several appliances. The number of appliances they can support is based on the output of the generator and the power requirements of the appliances.
2. The first step in buying a generator is deciding how much wattage you need during an emergency power outage. The size of your generator in wattage is determined by which appliances you want to power and how much total startup energy they need.
See our Chart for approximate wattage needs of various appliances.
– – (Click on the Chart below to see enlarge the chart.) – –
3. Check the rating of the extension cord that you use to connect each appliance to your portable generator. Make sure the cord is designed to carry the full amount of electrical current to the appliance.
4. Portable power generators are not designed to be run continuously, nor run inside your home or garage. They should be run (outside) for short periods of several hours, and then shut down for several hours before being run again.
5. We recommend adding a fuel stabilizer to your fuel tank , and running your portable generator for at least 10 minutes each month, to keep it ready to go when you need it.
For more tips on the safe operation of Portable Generators, please see these tips shared by:
Is your portable generator not running or giving you other problems?
Black Creek Services can provide reliable maintenance and repair servicing to your portable generator.
We will help you keep your small engine powered portable generator ready to go when you need it!
Call 904.449.3986 to make an appointment to drop off your small engine powered Lawn Mower, Lawn Tractor, Portable Generator, or Pressure Washer at our Middleburg, Florida shop.
We also can provide pickup and delivery service for clients in our service area.